OSW RPs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://oswrps.forumotion.com

THE TRANSPOSITION TRAP Empty THE TRANSPOSITION TRAP

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:14 am
When you are younger you don’t realise how the world around you affects everything you do. There’s a constant plethora of nature versus nurture debates, but the reality is that often what makes you the person you are falls somewhere in the middle. A mix of what you do or like as you simply exist mixed in with what others impress upon you.

One area I think this is especially true is music. Music is easy to fall in love with just by listening to it, and in this new age of streaming services it’s easier than ever to stumble across bands or singers that you simply wouldn’t have even had a chance of finding in the days of vinyl or even tapes.

But even if this is true, what makes you like the songs you like? Well that’s more down to nurture. If you grow up with a family that listens to folk music you may be inclined to like folk music, same if you come from a family of punks. But your surroundings can nurture you adversely. If you are from a family who like gospel music but you don’t find yourself able to connect with the heavily faith-driven outcome of that genre you may be pushed to other styles of music.

But it’s deeper than genre or style isn’t it Zander? I don’t talk about my parents much, but they are rock fans. They love a good guitar driven song. I remember hearing them talking about Zander Zane, back in the day, actually. But when I was little they played the album ‘Permission to Land’ by The Darkness a lot. And toddler Mysterion was drawn to one song in particular. I used to air guitar to ‘I Believe In A Thing Called Love’.

But why?

I didn’t understand it then, but as I got older I understood that music is written and played in either a major or minor scale. Songs played in the major scale generally sound happier and more joyful, whereas songs in the minor scale sound sad or creepy. It seems that I am the kind of person who is drawn to happier songs, believe it or not, so The Darkness – with their camp frivolity and over the top guitar solo – ticked that box a million times over.

Zander Zane must feel like he has a Spotify playlist full of songs written in the major scale on repeat all day every day right now. His music is selling again, he held his own commendably against Newton in the ring and he has the power of Xōchipilli behind him, driving all of this. Why wouldn’t you feel happy Zander?

But the truth is, a song is just notes, and notes can be changed, and this week, I take the song of your life and transpose it into the minor scale. Notes that once filled you with joy will instead fill you with dread.

No more happy endings for you, Zander.

Only I can lead us to victory at Chain Reaction.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum