OSW RPs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://oswrps.forumotion.com

HISTORY I: THE PIPER Empty HISTORY I: THE PIPER

Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:41 pm
Class, today we’re going to talk about duality. We’re going to discuss someone well known, and we’re going to look at his self-presentation and how you think that differs from who he really is.

We’re going to talk about a man who, in times of strife, seemed to be a guiding light. He stepped in and said “I can help you” and he took away the problems that had plagued these people for a long time, and they were plagued no more.

Now, whilst the people were compliant and behaved as he wished, he was perfectly civil to them, but when some started to question him, and refused to give him what he desired, he became irate, and his glare was as poisonous as any snake’s venom. Instead of solving the problems like he had done before, he instead started to take the things they love and destroy them for their disobedience.

Class, this may sound familiar, and that’s because I am talking to you about the legend of the Pied Piper of Hamelin, who led the diseased rats from Hamelin and prevented the spread of the black plague.

The man, sweetness and light when helping, became a monster much worse than the plague when crossed, as he led the town’s children away, never to be seen again.

Although we speak of the Piper, it seems absurd to me how many similarities there are with Eli Forever – a gentleman who has arrived in OSW promising to help people live better lives if they follow his methods. A gentleman who believes he has the power to relieve people of their own difficulties in life. The difference between the legend and Eli is that we have yet to hit the point with Eli of one of his followers disobeying him.

Only then will we see the full similarities. Eli is no true solution, and when he is found out for his fraudulence, he will lash out and take from his followers more than they could imagine.

What’s more, if you look up Pied Piper in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, there are two definitions that could have been written exactly for Eli. A Pied Piper is firstly defined as a charismatic person who attracts followers. Now for all the issues I could note with Eli, his charisma is undeniable. He would not have gotten himself to his current acclaim without it.

It is secondly defined as a leader who makes irresponsible promises. And that is the crux of this matter. For Eli has promised to clear the diseased rats from the gutters of OSW, but it is Eli himself that bears the plague of disingenuity. His duplicity will spread through his flock and eventually someone will question Eli. And when that day comes, his followers had better hope there is a higher power, because they will need all the help they can get.

So, class, for your assignment this week, let’s talk about Mr Forever’s duality, and how ultimately this will bring about his downfall despite his efforts. Best response gets a week of no homework.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum